Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

Colin wrote:
J. Wren Hunt wrote:

http://www.apcupsd.com/   APC makes a variety of UPSs. The one I'm using
, Back-UPS works with Debian just fine! ;-)

Is this thread still going on?  I thought it was resolved weeks ago.

It's going because Alvin wrote yesterday (7 oct) that APC is bad. That all UPS's are Debian compatible as long they have an rs232 interface. Which statement I don't understand. Why is USB bad? What do I do with M$ code that is shipped with most?

Alvin's claim that they don't last long might be true, but here again, a good db for Linux is lacking. How long is a UPS supposed to last?

Then there are the prices. I would get an APC BP500UC, that's $110. But Henrique reports on an APC Smartups, that's double the price, where I look. So what is the price performance curve?

Where I live a UPS is a must: power is just too unstable. Yesterday went out pop! at 10:30AM for 2 minutes. 14 days ago I lost a power supply and a voltage regulator to a brown out that lasted half a day. Who knows how, but replacing them powered up the system again.

Now I am afraid to leave the system on when I am not personally present to turn the switch.