Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

> Alvin Oga wrote:
> >imho, apc is probably the worst consumer grade ups there is ...

If a APC SmartUPS XL (1kVA) is consumer grade, then it is expensive alright.
I have heard bad things about APC, but it probably applies only to their
el-cheapo product lines.

> >	- they have lots of $$$ to do marketing/sales because
> >	you have to buy new ones every 6mon-year or new batteries

Well, my SmartUPS XL is on production for more than one year so far.  The
AVR works wonderfully (my main is a bit high, at ~125V so the AVR is
*always* on), too.  It sustains the current load I placed on it for > 1h,
and plays by the book, shutting the load down cleanly and powering it up
cleanly later.

> >- you will find out the ups is not working when your main 110vac power
> >  goes out ( brown out or dead for more than san 30sec, which any ups
> >  should survive  )
> >	- very very few people hit the "ups test" button to make
> >	sure the servers keeps working even if the ups is unplugged
> >	from power ( way better to test than the silly fake front panel
> >	test button )

If your UPS does NOT do automatic battery tests using a considerable load
periodically, it is trash.  And yes, a APC SmartUPS XL does it every two
weeks, and it puts enough load to drain the battery about 15% in 3s.  If the
battery survives that, it won't crap out the next time it is needed.

> >- keeping batteries fully charged is tricky biz

It fucks the batteries up royally to keep them under constant charge, yes.
The UPS must have a histeresis controler with a low watermark on 90% and a
high watermark on >95%.  This is relatively easy to do, though.

> So what's your recommendation for Debian compatible UPS?

Anything that is fully supported by "nut", **with** a smart protocol.

A good UPS must:
  1. have NVRAM (yes, exactly) to store configuration
  2. let you program it to shut the load down when battery is below a
     certain level (low watermark), and to only power the load up again when it has
     detected a power cycle in the main power *AND* the battery level
     is above a certain level (high watermark).
  3. Have low and high watermarks for charging the batteries too
  4. perform auto-diagnostics, battery and inverter tests frequently, and
     NOTIFY the PC of any malfunctions (or at the very least emulate a
     loss of power and low battery level to do a clean load shutdown, then
     turn itself off until rearmed).
  5. report to the PC (using a known protocol) when the battery is getting
     low (this is MUCH different than reporting when the main power is
     down, which is the crap you get with generic relay-based RS232
     "dumb" UPSes).
  6. A damn good AVR with line noise suppresion
  7. PWM control of the inverters, with less than 10% THD on the output
     waveform
  8. Active fan cooling for the inverter bridge when P > 750VA and the
     bridge is on.
  9. Response time < 4ms with sensivity control and main power quality
     (THD) monitoring

Bonus points for:
  1. PC control of load power state (i.e. immediate power down and power
     cycle).
  2. Output waveform smooting using a transformer (big, heavy and
     expensive!), for < 0.1% THD in the output waveform
  3. Response time = 0ms (power tank) for units with P < 5kVA
  4. Line voltage monitoring available to the PC
  5. Battery voltage and draw rate available to the PC
  6. Remaining battery *time* available to the PC [at current draw rate]

  Henrique Holschuh