Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

Hello.

On 08/10/05 15:19, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

>> alll UPS is debian compatible as long as:
>>     - your box has rs232
>>     - the ups has monitoring thru rs232
>

> How can that be? If the software they provide to communicate over the
> rs232 is m$ software?

Maybe not all but "virtually all". Most of serial-interfaced UPS'es do
not use data lines in RS-232. All you need is to know the right
combinations of cts/rts/dtr control signals, either from manuals or from
own trivial tests.

/power

genpower - Monitor UPS and handle line power failures

The express aim of the genpower package is to add additional
functionally and a simpler means of configuring UPS monitoring, in a
full featured suite that can be configured to work with most UPSs
featuring an RS232 monitoring port.

Depending on the UPS, cable, and the manner in which the genpower
package is configured, the genpower package provides the following features:

 * Line power sensing
 * Low battery detection
 * Physical cable detection
 * The ability to kill the UPS's inverter

et cetera