RE: Setting up mysql

Michael Peek wrote:
> Hi guys, I've got some more questions.

These are my notes from the last time I installed mysql 4.1 on Debian (3.1r0?):

16. Install MySQL packages:

        mysql-client-4.1
        mysql-server-4.1
        libdbi-perl             (already installed)
        libdbd-mysql-perl

    Dependencies:

        libmysqlclient12
        libmysqlclient14
        mysql-common-4.1

    There is a problem with mysql-doc-4.1:

        root@p166v:~# apt-get install mysql-doc-4.1
        Reading Package Lists... Done
        Building Dependency Tree... Done
        Package mysql-doc-4.1 is not available, but is referred to by
        an other package.
        This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted,
        or is only available from another source
        E: Package mysql-doc-4.1 has no installation candidate

    Set MySQL root password:

        root@p166v:~# mysqladmin -u root password ********

    Create MySQL database and user dpchrist:

        root@p166v:~# mysql -u root -p -h localhost

My guesses are either:

1.  Changing the bind address is a problem, and/or

2.  Putting quotes around the new password is a problem.

I've used MySQL on the same host (via the command line and via Apache and Perl),
and I've never needed to modify /etc/mysql/my.cnf.  I can't remember whether or
not I've tried to connect remotely.

HTH,

David