Re: Q: Setting up mysql

Michael Peek wrote:

I'm trying to set up mysql-server-4.1.  (Actually, I'm trying to write a
script that will do this for me...)
Why bother?
"apt-get install mysql-server" command will (already did) take care of everything!

I can connect using mysql -u root -- at least I think I can:

 # mysql -u root
 Your MySQL connection id is 26 to server version: 4.1.11-Debian_4sarge2-log

When you get the above text in console then you are already logged in and can sart to type MySQL queries.
For managing users and passwords check MySQL manual

Mitja Podreka