Re: Should I try Etch?

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 07:50:15AM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I'm still rather new to Linux, and I've been running Debian Sarge for a
> couple of months. However, I am eager to try the new features in Gnome 2.12,
> and I remember someone on the list writing that it ships with Sebian Etch.
>  So I thought I would try running Etch, and I had some questions:
>  [1] What problems am I likely to encounter running Etch? Is it really
> something I should stay away from as a new user? (The box I want to install
> on is for experimentation, and isn't mission critical.)
>  [2] Are there other advantages I'll get from running Etch, other than Gnome
> 2.12? Is Etch running OpenOffice 2.0?
>  [3] I burned all 14 CDs of the Debian Sarge distro. Will I need to download
> all of the CDs for the Etch distribution, or can I reuse some of those
> package CDs?
>  [4] Do they need more users to test Etch, or will my questions just be a
> pain in the neck for developers?
>  Thanks,
>  Scott Huey

I can't take a peak at your box.. so...
Your question regarding the versions is something that you can find out
by either changing your /etc/apt/sources.list where needed, and getting
the list wist    aptitude update    and taking a look at "search". If
you do a    aptitude upgrade     you'll see a list of packages that needs
to be upgraded, and you can then make up your mind if your realy need
it.
Or start clicking and typing away at http://packages.debian.org/ .

Now.. before you go on, any further, take a look at what the box is
doing, and should be doing. Create a list based on the changes and on
the package list you got, and either go for it.. or, stay put. I gather
it's not a production box, but a workstation. Be prepaired to do some
serious reading.

[2]Open office is still in 1.1.

[3]Why burn 14 cd's? Do you realy use all those cd's? Is it a box without
or with a dailin internet connection? I tend to stick with just one
netinstlal disk, and keep it at that.

[4]Well, why don't your ask the questions this mailinglist right here,
and bring up remarks and bugreports to the package maintainers, and
focus on either one, two (max: three) pieces of software where you think
it's worth it to spend your time and energy on. Developers are always open
for comments (well.. most of the time), but they are just like everyone
else, they don't like to repeat them selves if nobody take the time to
read.

 ,Mark