Synaptic Package Manager vs. RPM

I started using Debian in the past 2 months after using another Linux distro for a long time. The other distro relies on RPM for its package management, with the consequence of the user having to go through "dependency hell" on a regular basis. I have been amazed at the size of the Synaptic Package repository and how seamless it integrates with Debian. Also, I have noticed that some other distros, presumably built on Debian technology, use the same, or a similar, system for package management.

What makes Synaptic different from RPM in "concept"?

Can you manage any packages via RPM in Debian? I saw there was some kind of RPM utility but I never worked with it much.

Thanks for any input.

Yahoo! for Good