Re: module psmouse missing on boot, mouse doesn't work.

Hello

Søren Christensen (<severino@ulvedalen.dk>) wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 10:12:03AM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:

>> All the 2.4 kernels have the psmouse driver compiled into the kernel,
>> not as an external module. That is why the module is not there and
>> cannot be loaded. Do you have an PS/2 or an USB mouse?
>>
> I have a PS/2 mouse, but it's connected via a switch (two computers
> share mouse, keyborad and screen).
>
> If the psmouse-module is compiled into the kernel, why then does it
> look for it as a module on boot?

I don't know. Probably because you can install both using 2.4 and 2.6
and because there were some problems using 2.6 and the psmouse module
not being loaded. Adding psmouse to /etc/modules probably seemed to be
the easiest way.

> Now I handle the problem this way:
>
> After boot, when gdm has started and the mouse-pointer is frozen in
> the middle of the screen, I swtich to a console and do this as root:
> # /etc/init.d/gpm stop
> # /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> # /etc/init.d/gpm start
> # /etc/init.d/gdm start
>
> then the mouse has come alive!

Honestly I don't know what the problem is. You should check the dmesg
output befor and after restarting gdm.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270