Re: make-kpkg & initrd?

On 10/05/2005 11:10 pm, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> I'm trying to build a debian kernel using make-kpkg.  It seems simple
> enough, except when I install the newly created kernel package, it
> doesn't create the initrd image.  So, when I manually create the
> initrd image with mkinitrd, the boot process complains about not
> finding modules.dep file in the modules directory.  Is there something
> I'm missing that's preventing the entire kernel-image package from
> being built correctly?  Thanks for any tips.
> --

Are you running Sarge?  IIRC, Sarge installs GRUB by default and if you are
using GRUB,  the initrd should be taken care of when you install the kernel
deb.

The last time I installed a custom kernel, I believe I did it like this:

* did the kernel config first *
then

make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --initrd  --revision=myhost.1.4 kernel_image modules_image

Once the debs were built, I installed them (kernel and modules) and GRUB took
care of the rest.  You should also be sure to use Debian kernel sources and
not the ones from kernel.org.

8)