make-kpkg & initrd?

I'm trying to build a debian kernel using make-kpkg.  It seems simple
enough, except when I install the newly created kernel package, it
doesn't create the initrd image.  So, when I manually create the
initrd image with mkinitrd, the boot process complains about not
finding modules.dep file in the modules directory.  Is there something
I'm missing that's preventing the entire kernel-image package from
being built correctly?  Thanks for any tips.
--
Jiann-Ming Su