Re: libmysqlclient12 and libmysqlclient14

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 04:13:01PM -0500, Christopher L. Everett wrote:
> root@vanadium:# apt-get remove libmysqlclient12
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  libdbd-mysql-perl libmysqlclient12 mysql-client-4.1 mysql-server-4.1 mytop

Maybe the following can serve as a _first step_ in seeing why apt
wants to remove these things.  This lists the packages that depend on
libmysqlclient12 and that are installed on my system.  You would
probably have a different list.

$ apt-cache rdepends libmysqlclient12 | grep -v "Reverse Depends" | COLUMNS=120 xargs dpkg -l | grep ^ii
ii  libmysqlclient12         4.0.24-10sarge1          mysql database client library
ii  php4-mysql               4.3.10-16                MySQL module for php4
ii  python2.3-mysqldb        1.2.1c2-1                A Python interface to MySQL
ii  python2.2-mysqldb        1.2.1c2-1                A Python interface to MySQL
ii  php4-mysql               4.3.10-16                MySQL module for php4
ii  libmyodbc                3.51.09-1                the MySQL ODBC driver
ii  libdbd-mysql-perl        2.9006-1                 A Perl5 database interface to the MySQL database

[Hm, I'm not sure why some packages turn up two times here.]

So if I would remove libmysqlclient12 then these packages would be
removed as well.  Not all packages that you mention are in this list.
But there are packages that also depend on packages in this list, so
they would be removed too.  So let's look one step further:

$ apt-cache rdepends libmysqlclient12 | sed "s/|//" | grep -v "Reverse Depends" | COLUMNS=120  xargs dpkg -l | grep ^ii | sort | uniq | cut -d " " -f3 | xargs -n 1 apt-cache rdepends | sed "s/|//" | grep -v "Reverse Depends" | COLUMNS=120 xargs dpkg -l | grep ^ii | sort | uniq
ii  libdbd-mysql-perl        2.9006-1                 A Perl5 database interface to the MySQL database
ii  libmyodbc                3.51.09-1                the MySQL ODBC driver
ii  libmysqlclient12         4.0.24-10sarge1          mysql database client library
ii  mysql-client-4.1         4.1.11a-4sarge2          mysql database client binaries
ii  php4-mysql               4.3.10-16                MySQL module for php4
ii  phpmyadmin               2.6.2-3                  set of PHP-scripts to administrate MySQL over the WWW
ii  python-mysqldb           1.2.1c2-1                A Python interface to MySQL
ii  python2.2-mysqldb        1.2.1c2-1                A Python interface to MySQL
ii  python2.3-mysqldb        1.2.1c2-1                A Python interface to MySQL
ii  unixodbc                 2.2.4-11                 ODBC tools libraries

This list already contains the package mysql-client-4.1 that is in
your list, as it depends on libdbd-mysql-perl.  (See 'apt-cache
depends mysql-client-4.1'.)

Well, this is one way to start investigating why some packages are
begin removed.  Or you could just accept that apt-get knows what it is
doing and is correct in wanting to remove those programs. :) BTW, if I
try aptitude it wants to remove roughly the same packages that you
mention.  So switching package managers would do you no good.

If you want some interesting wall paper (for a *very* big screen or
preferably just for your wall) then try this:

apt-cache dotty libmysqlclient12 > libmysqlclient12.dotty

and then display it with

dotty libmysqlclient12.dotty

> Pinning mysql-server-4.1, mysql-client-4.1, etc in place does not help.

Correct.  That would just tell apt to not upgrade (or downgrade) the
package.  In case of imminent removal you will just get the above
warning.

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse