libmysqlclient12 and libmysqlclient14

For various reasons (I believe a version conflict is causing selects
to return no rows when it clearly has data to return), I want just
libmysqlclient14 on my server, but Debian own't let me uninstall
libmysqlclient12 without removing mysql wholesale:

root@vanadium:# apt-get remove libmysqlclient12
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 libdbd-mysql-perl libmysqlclient12 mysql-client-4.1 mysql-server-4.1 mytop
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 33.7MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Pinning mysql-server-4.1, mysql-client-4.1, etc in place does not help.

How can I set my server up the way I want it without tossing out all the
Debian mysql packages and compiling mysql from source?

--
Christopher L. Everett

Chief Technology Officer                               www.medbanner.com
MedBanner, Inc.                                          www.physemp.com