Re: Want to move from root LVM/LILO to LVM/Grub

Jason Martens wrote:
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005, Mirko Parthey wrote:
I didn't verify it, but I suspect there is no grub version with such
support.

And depending on how LVM/device-mapper is employed to map the root
partition, it would be *very* difficult for grub to do so.

Why so? Isn't that the reason for the file_system_type_stage1_5?

ISTM that one could simply write a lvm_e2fs_stage1_5 or whatever
and instruct GRUB to use it. Have I missed something?

One may want to ressurect the idea of /boot in a separate, simple, small and
standalone partition for grub use, which nothing more complex than RAID1
being done there...

Or just stick with LILO.
Thanks all, this makes sense now. I re-installed with a regular old root partition for boot and root, and grub installed just fine. Good to know for future reference.

I have yet to understand what advantage LVM gives me. Can anyone
explain why LVM was added, and what advantages/disadvantages
it has?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.