Re: Sempron, 32 bit and/or 64 bit ?

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:50:01 -0300
Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:51:14 -0300
> >Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> wrote:

> >[snip]
> >

> >>I did a test with a sarge netinst cd back when sarge was still
> >>testing, and it did detect sata disks. I doubt it won´t detect
> >>today. By the way: semprons are 32bit even in a 64bit board (my
> >>case).
> >>

> >Maybe, maybe not...
> >
> >http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/201
> >    However, since last June AMD decided to activate the 64-bit
> >    extensions on socket 754 Sempron processors. Because of
> >    that there are Sempron processors in the market that have
> >    these instructions and processors that don___t have them.
> >    How can we detect if a Sempron CPU has the 64-bit
> > instruction set?
> >
> >I wouldn't be surprised if Debian-amd64 ran on my box.
> >
> ># x86info
> >x86info v1.15.  Dave Jones 2001-2005
> >Feedback to <davej@redhat.com>.
> >
> >Found 1 CPU
> >--------------------------------------------------
> >Family: 15 Model: 12 Stepping: 0
> >CPU Model : Athlon 64 DH7-CG      <**********************
> >Feature flags:
> > fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
> > pat
> >pse36 clflsh mmx fxsr sse sse2 Extended feature flags:
> > syscall nx mmxext Fast fxsave/fxrstor 3dnowext 3dnow lahf/sahf
> >

> Ok, its not that simple, I agree. But you mean semprons with 64
> extensions are 32_64? Isn´t it the difference between having
> extensions and being 64bit pure? You can´t run a 32bit debian
> image on a pure 64bit, that´s what I meant before.

Ah, ok.  But x86-64 Long Mode (which needs a 64 bit OS) has 2
sub-modes: 64-Bit Mode & Compatability Mode.  A64 Linux doesn't
disable Compatability Mode, so you *can* run a 32 bit Debian image
on a Debian-AMD64 install.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/x86-64/x86-64-4.html