Re: Want to move from root LVM/LILO to LVM/Grub

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >>And depending on how LVM/device-mapper is employed to map the root
> >>partition, it would be *very* difficult for grub to do so.
>
> Why so? Isn't that the reason for the file_system_type_stage1_5?

stage 1.5 cannot very well find WHAT you are going to feed device-mapper
with, if it is hiddien inside an init or initfs, etc.  Let's not even get to
the really difficult scenarios, where you bring up mixed-mode RAID (such as
RAID 10 or RAID 0+1) using mdadm and lvm, etc. in the initrd, and have / in
it.

If you want grub to work fine, keep your /boot in a very straightforward
place (inside a simple partition).  If you want LILO to work fine, keep
/boot in one device, and unencripted (but other than that, feel free to
scatter it all over the device).   Both can deal with RAID1, and cannot deal
with any other RAID level.

> I have yet to understand what advantage LVM gives me. Can anyone

Flexibility.  Easy stripping over two RAID1 arrays (effectively doing RAID
0+1), etc.  Easy resizing.  Not limited to single devices... the advantages
go on and on.

Why would you need that for /boot is something else, though. RAID1 is about
all one would need for /boot (and IMHO, for / for that matter).

  Henrique Holschuh