apache2 mod_perl sarge not working

I am trying to get mod_perl working on my Debian Sarge box. I have
installed the libapache2-mod-perl2 and its dependencies via Synaptic.

My /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/perl.load file has the following:

LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_perl.so
PerlModule Apache2

<Location /home/marek/public_html/perl >
  SetHandler  perl-script
  PerlHandler ModPerl::Registry
</Location>

I am initially trying to get Apache::Registry Scripts working from my
home
public_html directory.

My test script is the following:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use ModPerl::Registry;

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "hello";

Doing perl -c on the script returns syntax OK. When I try to access the
script via: http://localhost/~marek/perl/hello I only get a print out
of
the source.

I have also tried changing the extension to .pl which actually changes
the
behaviour of accessing the file. With the .pl extension I am prompted
to either save the file or choose an external program to view the
content.

I am new to both Debian and mod_perl any help would be greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks,
Marek