Re: Standard place for Bash Scripts

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Stephen R Laniel wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 07:47:14AM -0400, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> > I was wondering if there was a standard place for bash scripts.  A
> > convention or "normal place" where they can be placed to be turned into a
> > command, accessable to all users.

as people have said .. /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin .. BUT ..

just to be a pita...

if you have a sun box or hp or aix or gazillion distro
on different architecture .. you'd have to use:

	/usr/bin is usually on the local disk, so problems, but

	/home/{$user}/bin.`uname -m`
	/usr/local/bin.`uname -m`

		both can be sometimes an NFS resource which will need
		the whackynes of "uname -m"

	and since scripts are typically independent of 'architecture",
	i use /usr/local/scripts for all user defined scripts

	and add mroe fun when you have /usr/local/bin/perl vs
	/usr/bin/perl vs ... or /bin/bash vs /bin/sh being different

c ya
alvin