bootlog [was: control of modules?]

On 9/28/05, Jan C. Nordholz <jckn@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:27:24PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> > hi folks,
> >
> > on a system that's been running debian for several years, I seem to
> > have several systems for organizing modules on my machine --
> > /etc/modules/ /etc/modules.conf, /etc/modutils, etc/modprobe.d ...
>
> if you're getting those "module not found" errors in one bunch, I'd
> presume this happens during the initscript of module-init-tools, which
> tries to load every module mentioned in /etc/modules. There might be
> some leftovers from previous kernel/module-configurations in there.
> Check the contents of the file against the error list you get, and
> against the present modules in /lib/modules/2.6.12/ .
>
> If that doesn't (or insufficiently) solve your problem, you should
> post a small excerpt from your bootlog containing the error messages.

Hi Jan,

that helps some -- got rid of most of the messages except one about
shpchp, which is not listed in my /etc/modules, so don't know the
origin.  Unfortunately cna't post my bootlog b/c bootlogd doesn't seem
to wantto run!  I have the following /et/default/bootlogd:
# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes

... but still no /var/log/boot.  Not sure what that's about; I noticed
another thread from someone with a similar difficulty, no solution
posted, not sure what's going on.

anyway, that was a great start, thanks!

matt