php page errors on apache2

I've been trying to get some php scripts to run on my sarge desktop machine, but keep getting the error "Internal Server Error". They used to work up until a few months ago, but went back to check on things last week, and suddenly it doesn't work. All I can guess is that an apt-get update changed some configuration for the worse. (how?)

The php script is just a simple info() call, so the syntax is fine. It works from command line.

The error logs have the error:
[Wed Sep 28 11:19:14 2005] [error] [client 206.12.24.217] (13)Permission denied: exec of '/var/www/info.php' failed [Wed Sep 28 11:19:14 2005] [error] [client 206.12.24.217] Premature end of script headers: info.php

The httpd.conf file is currently:
# This is here for backwards compatability reasons and to support
#  installing 3rd party modules directly via apxs2, rather than
#  through the /etc/apache2/mods-{available,enabled} mechanism.
#
#LoadModule mod_placeholder /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_placeholder.so

Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .php .php3 .php4

<VirtualHost 206.12.24.217:80>
        ServerAdmin prittich@dowco.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www
        ServerName liddy
        AddHandler cgi-script .php .php3 .php4
        php_admin_value safe_mode 0
        php_admin_value open_basedir /var/www/
        php_admin_value sendmail_from prittich@dowco.com

        <Directory "/var/www">
                AllowOverride None
                Options +ExecCGI
                DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

It started out a lot smaller and simpler, but I've added a lot more in trying to trouble shoot this. Google's failed me in finding the solution, so I'm hoping someone on the debian list can figure out why this is failing.

--
Patrick Rittich
prittich@dowco.com