Re: tar backup ok but restore errors w/ scsi dat dds2

- moreimportantly, do NOT type commands and hints people
post in the list w/o knowing what it will do
:( -- feeling like a scolded step child now... :(

- i assume you know to add the right options to find
- i assume you know to go find the program called buffer
- i assume you know the options for tar to read from stdin
Yes, Yes and Yes
I've worked with SCO Xenix/Unix, Novell Unixware, Slackware/Red Hat/Debian Linux, Solaris, and AIX over 14 years. But I don't claim to be a guru - that's why I came to the list for help after trying everything I knew. We use tape backup on all our in-house and customer's systems and have never run into this problem.

yeah.. yeah about "assume" ...
lol...

... Besides it looks like buffer will only help
writing the data to the tape... The problem I have is reading the data back
off the tape.

if its written wrong ... it will barf at reading
Excellent point.
I assumed that if there was a problem writing the data I would get an error.
yeah.. yeah about "assume" ... lol

 When I create the tar archive using: tar cvf /dev/st0
/usr/kbmosas there are no errors reported by tar. The problem is trying to
read the data back from the archive just made.

of course not... and do you know why not ..
:( -- more scolding -- :(

and that doesnt solve the problem of maybe the data is nto written
as you expected due to other problems
- what kind of tape noises does it make when its writing
and it should be a nice and steady/constant whine ...
Sounds normal to me - although it is a DAT drive and pretty quiet, not like the old QIC 1/4in or Travan drives.

I think I've exhausted my resources attacking this from the software side. Will do a little mobo swap and see what happens.

c ya
alvin
Thanks for your help Alvin

Ralph Eagle