Re: tar backup ok but restore errors w/ scsi dat dds2

hi ya ralph

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Ralph Eagle wrote:

> > - moreimportantly, do NOT type commands and hints people
> > post in the list w/o knowing what it will do
> :( -- feeling like a scolded step child now... :(

:-) ... just watching out for ya... to not cut-n-paste commands

but couldn;t resist that initial comment

> > of course not... and do you know why not ..
> :( -- more scolding -- :(

so try to copy stuff to tape, again ...

find /home/ralph | buffer | tar zcvf /dev/st0 -T -

should sound nice and smooth .. no stopping and starting
	- it should be a constant and steady whine

> I think I've exhausted my resources attacking this from the software side.
> Will do a little mobo swap and see what happens.

yeah.. but first get the tar command and buffer right...
than spend some dough on a better mb, but no guarantee to fix
the original problem
	- get a new tape cleaner and new tape
	- try a different tape drive
	- make sure you have enough cpu hp
	- make sure yu have enough memory
	- ( top -i ) should be almost no load while writing to tapes
c ya
alvin