Re: Cannot access the computer

On Tuesday 27 September 2005 12:04, Mitja Podreka wrote:
>  Hello
>
>  I have a big problem. I have six new computers running Mandrake. I would
> like to migrate them to Debian, but everything is password protected and
> the people who installed the original OS forgot all the passwords. I tried
> today to boot from a live CD, but found out that BIOS is set to boot from
> hard disc and access to BIOS is password protected. What can I do?
>
>  Thanks for help.

Frequently in the BIOS there are multiple available boot locations, and it
takes the first that works.  So if you were to remove the hard drive, or
switch it from being primary to secondary you might be able to boot either
a floppy or a CD.  If you then install to the HD as secondary and then
update the installed system so that it expects to boot from hda rather than
the hdb which it will have set up then you can put it back to primary and
boot as normal.

David