Re: Cannot access the computer

--- michael <linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:04 +0200, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a big problem. I have six new computers running Mandrake. I
> > would like to migrate them to Debian, but everything is password
> > protected and the people who installed the original OS forgot all
> the
> > passwords.
> > I tried today to boot from a live CD, but found out that BIOS is
> set
> > to boot from hard disc and access to BIOS is password protected.
> > What can I do?

What can you do?

  (1) Cry
  (2) Shoot whoever set and forgot all the passwords
  (3) Reset the BIOS

(3) is probably the most profitable option, and googling for 'reset
bios' found the following:

  <http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml>

I haven't tried this myself, but I would guess that it is the only
option.

> warning: think before following:
>
> are you saying HD is first boot option or only boot option? For the
> former, wipe the HD so it won't boot and then boot off alternative
> media
> might be a poss if you're happy to lose everything

My guess is that it would not be possible to find how the boot options
are set without the BIOS password, so this could result in a blank disk
and no way to install anything on it.