Re: More than 2, but less than 3 GiB per process memory?

Am Dienstag, 27. September 2005 23:32 schrieb Mike McCarty:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Please see the Debian mailing list policy:

> >   "When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
> >   copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to
> >   be copied."
> >
> > Because there was a specific request by the original poster Malte
> > Cornils for a direct CC it would be polite to do so.

> Given the way this list works, it is impolite to make such a
> request.

Heh. The list policy explicitly does not rule out CC requests, so it's hardly
against any rules.

You might argue that it's still morally wrong not to be subscribed on mailing
lists one asks for help on, but

a) at least I behave exactly like a subscribed lists poster: I read stuff (via
web archive), I send mails with correct References: header, i answer to the
list and not in private, I searched the archive for previous solutions, I
browse other posts and answer people looking for help in areas I have more
knowledge in, etc. Except for requesting the CC, you wouldn't even notice I'm
not subscribed. Other web-based "lurkers" might not do all of this, but
judging me because not all people do it correctly is hardly polite either.

b) debian-user is a very high-traffic mailing list. Neither subscribing for
one or two days while waiting for a reply while discarding all other list
mail or using the web archive is great, but it's the only way to participate
*without* becoming impolite

c) I politely requested a CC, it's your prejudice to not bother to do so, it's
not your prejudice to call me impolite becaue I requested it. Not that I'm
thin-skinned though, but still. (Yeah, I should have used Mail-Follow-Up-To.
That would eliminate any work for well-behaved clients)

d) debian-user discriminates against people not competent enough to handle
hundreds of mails per day. While I can handle that, I'm not looking forward
to subscribing to lots of those mailing lists. Still, removing a way for less
mail-savvy users to use Debian's only official user help medium (?) could be
classified as ignorant or arrogant.

Still, thank you for taking your time discussing this! Out of curiosity: why
did you send (additional) copies of your mail to Mike McCarty and Bob Proulx?

Yours
-Malte