Re: Runing 2 squids

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 21:55, Mariusz Kruk wrote:
> Ben Sagal napisał(a):
> > Is it possible to run two copies of squid concurrently (same
> > executable + cache, just different config files)?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you cannot share cache directiories
> between different squid instances.
> But you could always try to run one copy of squid acting only as a proxy
> with no cache to the other instance of squid on the same host.
> What would you like to achieve this way anyway?

Just a thought, but it might (I can't think why it won't) be possible
that a second non-caching instance of squid could peer with the first
instance as a parent/sibling/child cache (whatever you want the
relationship to be). Also, check the man page for squid, "man squid". It
allows you to specify some command line arguments to squid such as:

"-f file
	Use the given config-file instead of /etc/squid/squid.conf"

>From memory you may have to change some port numbers in the "NETWORK
OPTIONS" section of the config file to get your squid instances to
talk/peer with each other. Perhaps, if squid does get confused (two
squids on one IP address) you could run the second instance on a fake IP
address/alias but I don't know much about that.

Even if you could run two instances of squid from the one disk cache I
would not recommend it (AFAIAC). AFAIK squid was not designed to be used
in this manner, but is IS designed to share a cache via peering, so that
I think is your best bet.

A search on the squid-users mailing list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=short&config=squid-users_squid-cache_org&restrict=&exclude=&words=multiple+instances

The Squid Web Cache Wiki:
http://squidwiki.kinkie.it/squidwiki/MultipleInstances

If that doesn't help try asking on the squid-cache mailing list:
www.squid-cache.org

HTH,
Brett