Re: change window manager in Gnome

Lorenzo Bettini on 26/09/05 11:04, wrote:
Dmitri Minaev wrote:

Hi,

1. Launch a terminal.
2. Launch Desktop Preferences->Advanced->Sessions
3. At Current Session tab, mark 'metacity', click Remove, click Apply.
The window manager must shut down.
4. Switch to the terminal window, type 'enlightenment &'
5. Close the session manager and the terminal
6. Click Actions->Log out, mark Save Current Setup and click OK.
7. When you log on again, Enlightenment should start.

There's no such menu entry...

however I did that with gnome-session-remove and the proceeded as you say and it seems to have worked! :-)

Hi Lorenzo,

for curiosity's sake, how are you using enlightenment? I set it up and used it for a while, but I eventually switched back to metacity, even though metacity's more clunky.

I found that switching between windows with the keyboard was too inefficient, since enlightenment doesn't have a window-switching-dialog when you hold down the ALT-Tab key. It's OK with a small number of windows, but I usually have up to 10 open (browsers mostly).

How do you find that?

Adam