Re: change in Debian policy? WAS: Re: annoying screensaver

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 02:43:59PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 07:47:07AM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> >
> > Actually, it was pointed more to the way things are getting covered up
> > as dists move towards the black box approach.  Not that easier isn't
> > better in many/most cases, but it strikes me that an easy to follow
> > trail back to the root of many black box items could be put into the
> > box itself.  E.g. in the "about" part of any help system:  "This
> > program modifies the foo files found in bar directory..."
>
> Maybe this should become official Debian policy.

I don't think it should.  That is why every single Debian package
includes a README.Debian file in /usr/share/doc/<pkg-name>.  This
should document any deviations between the Debian version and the
upstream version and anything else specific to the Debian package.
Besides, this is much more standard (not every program has a GUI or an
about box), and is already Debian policy.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto