Re: Newbie wants Firefox and Tbird

On 9/26/05, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Joel Peter William Pitt wrote:

>     2. Not logging into X as root is another benefit. Running a single X
>     client/app as root is different than running all of X as root.
>

> You can run su within a terminal in X, no one mentioned anything about
> running X as root. That's an aside from whether to use su or sudo for
> admin.

But not X apps. Not without tinkering with Xauthority files.

I agree also, in general su is fine for a single-user machine, there *are* benefits to using sudo though.

I am confused however, since I'm reasonably sure I haven't tinkered with my Xauthority files - ie they are the debian default - and yet synaptic has no problem running from su.

-Joel