Re: recover data from a hd

"csj" <csj@zapo.net> wrote in message news:4QlHi-52n-17@gated-at.bofh.it...
> On 21. September 2005 at 8:32AM -0400,
> Mitchell Laks <mlaks@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I try not to use maxtor - i have switched to western digital
> > after too many crashes.
>
> I buy only Maxtor drives. I bought one bad Maxtor drive that
> started spouting read errors the first time I tried to format
> it. Instead of availing of the warranty or having the drive
> replaced outright, I formatted around the read errors and ran the
> drive for three years before I finally gave up on it. If a bad
> Maxtor drive could last that long, a good Maxtor drive should
> last ages. I've never had the chance to test this theory though,
> since I upgrade to a higher-capacity drive in as little as two
> years.

I've replaced dozens of Maxtor drives and every one of them I've ever owned
has eventually failed so I swore them off years ago, I still end up
replacing them in other people's computers. Other brands including WD have
put out a few dud models with high failure rates but I bet I've dealt with
as many Maxtor failures as all the others combined. It's just not worth the
risk when you can get a Seagate or WD for just a few bucks more.