manufacturer Re: recover data from a hd

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> > >  my hd died this morning and I know it is too late and I don't have a
> > >  backup but is there a way to do a raw read and gather all the
> > >  information that can be read?

that'd depnd on the problem of what *-you-* mean by "died" vs what's
on the platter

> One thing might be kind of a problem, however,
> > >  since the hd is damaged

dammagd in what way ??? ( how do you know that )
	- did it make funny noises when it starts up that is different
	than the normal startup noises

	- if the head is bad ( damaged )... you will NOT be able to
	read anything with it

	- if the platter is intact, you can replace the head
	and use a different replacement head assembly and read the disk
	as if nothing broke ( but you need a special clean room to do
	replace the head )

> at its very beginning and attempting to mount it gives
> > >  I/O error on sector 0 and the consecutive ones.

sounds like a corrupt file system

> So, is there a way to jump
> > >  after those erroneous sectors and read what's left. Any pointers would be
> > >  greatly appreciated, thanks!
> >
> > dd skipping over the 1st few sectors might help, if your new disk
> > is sufficiently larger than your dead disk.

as others have noted  dd_rescue might help too

> > >  P.S. I'm off to buy a new hd. Any particular brands I should keep away
> > >  from?

buy what's on sale ... $0.50/GB or less
	- maxtor - any newer than 16GB
	- seagate - any
	- ibm - stay away from those deskstars made in thailand
	- western digital with 8MB buffer or more

> > Infinite are the arguments of geeks regarding hard drives.
> >
> > I've had nothing but success with Maxtor.  Others hate them with
> > a passion.
> This is ironic. The failed hd is _a_ Maxtor, infact. Hmm.., if that
> ain't a coincidence :)

the reason why tom-dick-n-harry has no problems with maxtor xxGB disk
is because they bought it at big-famous-store

the reason why sally-mary-jane has nohting but problem with the same
identical xxGB disk is because they bought theirs at the local pc-store
or me-too website and had it tossed around like a concrete brick during
shipping, handling, inventory, storage, etc, etc, etc

if you buy at any random place, you will have random disk problems

if you buy from "good places", than any and all disks should be
practically identical assuming they all have the same 1yr or 3yr
or 5yr warranty

	- do NOT compare 1yr warranty disks with a 5yr warranty disk

	which is like comparing a house to the mars
	( nothing to do with each other )

- if you do NOT have a properly cooled hard disk ( with a working fan on
  it ), than you're asking for it to eat your data one day as you sleep

- i bought 1000's of drives over the last few years

c ya
alvin