Re: UPS for servers?

On 9/24/05, Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a UPS to hook up to a rack containing three servers. I'm
> not precisely sure of the power consumption, but could find some hard
> numbers if it became necessary. I want something that will keep all three
> servers up for at least 1 hr. The rack is a 6U.
>
> I want a UPS whose software is supported by Linux, preferably something
> packaged for Debian, and one that is reasonably priced (under USD 1000).
>
> The functionality I would like is that the following sequence of events is
> possible
>
> 1) Power goes out.
>
> 2) UPS waits T1 minutes and if the power has not gone back on, informs the
> machines.
>
> 3) The machines send out a broadcast message to users telling them the
> machines are going to go down in T2 minutes.
>
> 4) If the power has not come back in T2 minutes, the machines go down.
>
> Otherwise, they send out a broadcast message saying the power has come
> back on.
>
> Does anyone have any idea if ways exist to power up a machine remotely?
>
> I'm going to talk to APC, but I don't know how much a sales rep would know
> about Linux, and he/she certainly would not know about Debian.
>
> Recommendations/suggestions appreciated. Please CC me; I'm not subscribed.
> In any case, I will check periodically via Gmane.

I have  APC Smart-UPS 2200VA USB & Serial 230V
 http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA2200I

It works under Debian with APCUPSD package (official Debian).  You can
follow those links for other informations:
http://update.itlab.musc.edu/node/126
http://www.apcupsd.com/3.10.x-manual/Contents.html

See U.

--
Openclose.it - Idee per il software libero
http://www.openclose.it