Re: new hard drive

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:01:49AM -0400, Kudret Güler wrote:
> Hi all, yesterday I had only one hard drive.
> hda1 /      #debian installation A
> hda5 /home
>
> Today this hard drive is hdb with the same structure. On hda there is
> grub installed pointing to debian installation A as well as other
> entries. When I try to load debian installation A, currently I am
> having kernel panic after an error: "VFS can't find ext3 filesystem on
> dev hda1"
>
> Question: Which files should I edit to let linux know that it is on hdb now?
> I already edited fstab and mtab
> thank you

You have two installations of Debian on two disk drives. You are actually
using the new one on hda to boot. You do NOT want to boot from the one
on hdb. You want to mount the partitions on hdb and copy the files that
are undamaged onto the drive on hda. If you are having trouble doing this,
post a copy of your /etc/fstab file and it should be obvious to many on
this list what your problem is. So, post /etc/fstab contents.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net