Re: new hard drive

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:01:49AM -0400, Kudret Güler wrote:
> Hi all, yesterday I had only one hard drive.
> hda1 /      #debian installation A
> hda5 /home
>
> Today this hard drive is hdb with the same structure. On hda there is
> grub installed pointing to debian installation A as well as other
> entries. When I try to load debian installation A, currently I am
> having kernel panic after an error: "VFS can't find ext3 filesystem on
> dev hda1"
>
> Question: Which files should I edit to let linux know that it is on hdb now?
> I already edited fstab and mtab
> thank you

Hi,

AFAIK, you don't need to edit /etc/mtab as it is created/updated by the
system.

You need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst in your /dev/hda, which you
obviously have already done, so make sure the entry for the hdb is
correctly set. My hdb-entry looks like this:

title		Debian GNU/Linux i386
root		(hd1,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
initrd		/boot/initrd.img
boot

If you copy/paste this, edit the '/boot/vmlinuz' to point to the correct
name in your hdb-kernel as well as the '/boot/initrd.img', if you use
initrd. If you don't have initrd-image, then delete the initrd-line.

HTH
Simo
--
:r ~/.signature