Re: apt-get errors out religiously while processing 'at' command

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 07:39:23PM -0500, Eric P wrote:
> Hmm... maybe I just fixed it.  I uninstalled the 'at' package, and
> apt-get no longer complains.

You may want to try reinstalling it now and see if things continue to
work normally.  On my sarge system 'at' and 'apt-get' work perfectly
happy together.  'at' is an important package according to apt-cache:

$ apt-cache show at
Package: at
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 204
Maintainer: Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.1.8-11
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), mail-transport-agent
Filename: pool/main/a/at/at_3.1.8-11_i386.deb
Size: 37918
MD5sum: b5cc860f93a0f25e71d92dad23988c12
 At and batch read shell commands from standard input
 storing them as a job to be scheduled for execution in the
 future.
 .
 Use
  at    to run the job at a specified time
  batch to run the job when system load levels permit

Of course when at makes your apt system unstable its priority gets
considerably lower. ;-)

'at' is depended on by the following packages:

maurits@mauritsvanrees:~/tmp$ apt-cache rdepends at
at
Reverse Depends:
  usermin-at
  mirror
  lsb-core
  gato

Most important at first glance seems to be lsb-core.  From apt-cache
show lsb-core:

 The Linux Standard Base (http://www.linuxbase.org/) is a standard
 core system that third-party applications written for Linux can
 depend upon.

Okay, I don't have that one installed apparently; I'll go do that
now. ;-)

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse