apt-get errors out religiously while processing 'at' command

I'm running etch, and I recently ran an upgrade which installed many
packages including Gnome 2.10 and Xorg.  During the middle of the
upgrade, apt-get kept erroring out with the following (xbill just as an
example):

Unpacking xbill (from .../archives/xbill_2.1-4_i386.deb) ...
Setting up at (3.1.9) ...
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atdinvoke-rc.d: initscript atd,
action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing at (--configure):
Setting up xbill (2.1-4) ...

 at

Not sure what 'at' is, but that seems to be the culprit.

Regardless of what I install or remove anymore, it ends like above.  The
package(s) install, but I think it's bailing out before some apps get
properly configured (not 100% sure though).

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hopefully someone has a clue for this issue.

Eric P.