Re: hosts.allow, Apache and others

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 08:37:11PM -0500, garaged wrote:
> tcpwrappers is, IMO, a quite deprecated tool, firewalls are reliable
> and more adequate this days.

I'm going by the usual security advice to use multiple layers of security.

> To answer your question, if apache is started by xinetd, host.* files
> are relevant, most distributions now dont bind apache to xinetd, i'm
> not even sure if it's convenient, I would think that it is not because
> apache keeps child processes for faster response.

I'm on the Debian distribution :)  I'm pretty sure Apache runs at
startup, not via inetd.

I know a number of packages say they are compiled with tcpwrappers.  I
didn't realize it only worked with inetd; I thought it was more
general.

Thanks.