Re: Want to set apt pin-priority lower for none debian sites

Florian Sukup wrote:

[snip]

> > >The problem:
> > >testing is my target release. In my sources.list there the following
> > >entries:
> > >
> > >deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> > >deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian stable main non-free contrib
> > >deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian testing main non-free contrib
> > >deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian unstable main non-free contrib
> > >deb http://www.linex.org/sources/linex/debian sarge linex
> > >
> > ># apt-cache policy mozilla-firefox
> > >mozilla-firefox:
> > >  Installed: 1.0.6-1.linex1
> > >  Candidate: 1.0.6-1.linex1
> > >  Version Table:
> > >     1.0.6-5 0
> > >        400 http://ftp.at.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> > > *** 1.0.6-1.linex1 0
> > >        990 http://www.linex.org sarge/linex Packages
> > >        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> > >     1.0.4-2sarge3 0
> > >        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
> > >        990 http://ftp.at.debian.org testing/main Packages
> > >     1.0.4-2 0
> > >        400 http://ftp.at.debian.org stable/main Packages
> > >
> > >But this is not what I want. I want to have 1.0.4-2sarge3 0 installed.

[snip]

> > then include something like
> >
> >  Package: *
> >  Pin: release a=unstable
> >  Pin-Priority: 500
> >
> > in /etc/apt/preferences (again may need to create)
> >
> > This should prevent unstable packages being given the same, or higher
> > priority as testing.

> I tried that but didn't work. Seems logical to me. The linex packages
> are also denoted as testing. Therefore, this doesn't work.

[snip]

>From the output of apt-cache, the LinEx package is labeled "sarge",
which is Stable, not Testing. You should therefore add the following to
/etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Or rather:

Package: *
Pin: release a=Etch
Pin-Priority: 1000

The latter would directly give a higher priority to Etch packages, and
make you forget about stable or unstable. Some say a=Etch is not
supported, and that it should read a=testing. I have a=Etch and it is
working so far.

Do any of the two /etc/apt/preferences inputs I give do the trick?

However, one would wonder why you include the 4th and 5th lines of your
/etc/apt/sources.list... why not just comment them out?

     Basajaun