Re: Deskop performance

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 01:38:37PM +0545, Paras pradhan wrote:
> hi:
>
> I am building a custom debian kernel for use in Desktop Systems. I
> have patched my kernel 2.6.13 using ck patch available at
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ and it is working fine
> i guess. does any one has url or docs which help me to create the
> approprite/optimized .config file which may be good for using the
> kernel in Desktops?

Off the top of my head, you'd want CONFIG_PREEMPT and erm, the correct
sub-architecture for your chipset (686, k7 or whatever). Other than
that, don't have compiled-in modules for hardware you don't have
(although it seems most stock kernels are very modular these days - you
could shed some ATA/SCSI lld fat I expect). If you are confident enough,
patch in inotify and use gamin instead of famd (assuming you are going
to have famd on your desktop - most likely).

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/