Re: Debian Compatable UPS?

John Hasler said:

> Only if you expect to have a power failure every day.  Deep cycle batteries
> are designed to be deeply discharged with great frequency.  Car batteries
> are designed to frequently delivery large amounts of current and be either
> on float charge or disconnected most of the time.  The ideal is a standby
> power battery, but car batteries are close enough and readily available.

Ahh, I hadn't thought about that.

> Try to get one that you can add water to and check the electrolyte level
> regularly.  It'll last a lot longer.

For an indoor application, a sealed battery makes me more comfortable than a
serviceable one.  If I was going to do this, I'd probably end up using an
optima gel cell since they don't leak.

>> If it's in a battery box (preferably metal)...
>
> Battery boxes should be plastic.

Why?  If the battery is properly insulated, connected, and strapped into the
box, a metal enclosure shouldn't be an issue.  The battery box in the trunk
of my racecar is metal and I've never had an issue in the 6 years that I've
had it there.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com