Re: OT: What do they mean: T1, T3, DS-3, DS-48, OC-3, OC-48, OC-192...

Andy Anderson wrote:

I know that this is off topic, but I've been curious for a while
as to what, exactly, the acronyms (or designators, or whatever
they're properly called) in the subject line mean.  I sort of
have some sense of what a T1 is - a dedicated connection to the
Internet via some ISP that is anywhere from 128 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps
in bandwidth - but what does the T (or DS or OC) stand for?  Is
there a reference somewhere?  Google was no help at all...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Try Wikipedia rather than Google, just going to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T1 etc very often gets a good, complete explanation of something :)

Hope this helps,

-ol