OT: What do they mean: T1, T3, DS-3, DS-48, OC-3, OC-48, OC-192...

I know that this is off topic, but I've been curious for a while
as to what, exactly, the acronyms (or designators, or whatever
they're properly called) in the subject line mean.  I sort of
have some sense of what a T1 is - a dedicated connection to the
Internet via some ISP that is anywhere from 128 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps
in bandwidth - but what does the T (or DS or OC) stand for?  Is
there a reference somewhere?  Google was no help at all...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Andy Anderson
Salisbury, MD, USA

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."
                                                     - Anonymous