Re: how to use mailing lists

Mailing lists are an inefficient way to get an answer to a single question because you will get loads (I'm on 1,000 since I signed on here) of responses to things that don't even remotely relate to your question.  However, it is also a GREAT way to really get into a subject.  And, to get a good variety of answers to your problem - as folks correct each other, or fill in gaps.

The only "problem" with THIS mail-list is the incredible number of threads going on it at one time.  Wow!

But, yes, you need to provide as much information as possible, and be as precise as possible when asking your question.  Otherwise, everybody gets a lot of white noise (e-mails that must be weeded out) while folks ask you questions to get the information.

Fritz Brown

> On Sunday 18 September 2005 09:21 pm, linux wrote:
> > is it just me or is this mailing list useless?

> > i posted my question ages ago and have recieved nothing but heaps of
> > lists meant to work like this?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm