Re: Overwhelmed newbie

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 07:26:19PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

On fredag 16 september 2005, 14:20, Fritz Brown wrote:

Help!  I have recently begun an attempt to install Debian on a Sony
laptop (Mobile AMD K6-2 550MHz, 64MB RAM), and am thoroughly
overwhelmed with choices about which I know nothing!

Yeah, I can really see that. It is huge, and not easy to gain an overview of. Others mention Sarge, the 3.1 version, and yeah, I wouldn't install Woody, for a desktop, it was allready outdated when it was released. But in fact, I would rather suggest you install Ubuntu, which is not Debian, but based on Debian. Have a look at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
They'll send you a free CD too! Cheers,
Kjetil

I really don't think that this is the kind of thing to recommend on d-u without a very good reason.

Why not?  Debian by itself can hardly be considered a starter
distribution without the user making a signifcant outlay of time to
gather a great deal of information and read.  Distros like Ubuntu and
Mepis take away much of the choice from the user and in return provide a
package that is much easire for a new user to digest.

See my previous post. He's trying to install Debian, let's help him install Debian. However hard people think it is, choosing Desktop from the dreaded tasksel gets most people on their way.