Re: absurdly simple LAN problem

On 16 Sep 2005, Florian Dorpmueller wrote:
> >I'm very grateful to everyone for their suggestions but I'm starting to
> >think it's about time to give up :-(
>
> Don´t give up! Linux computers are designed to work in networks.
> Please be so kind to post the complete contents of your
> /etc/network/interfaces again here.
>
> Florian

Well, I was afraid I was going on a bit, but anyway:
------------------------------

Laptop:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping hotplug
        script grep
        map wifi0

# The primary network interface
iface eth1 inet dhcp
        address 192.168.0.22
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1
        # wireless-* options are implemented by the wireless-tools package
        wireless-mode managed
        wireless-essid 8 Oak Way
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 80.84.64.20 80.84.72.20
        dns-search acampbell.org.uk

------------------------------

Desktop:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	address 192.168.0.20
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.0.0
	gateway 192.168.0.1
	broadcast 192.168.0.255
Note: although not configured here, if I do manually:

	ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.20

I seem to be able to ping from laptop to desktop.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  blog, book reviews, electronic