Re: making apt-file do it's job

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 12:54:52PM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> I believe you want to use 'apt-cdrom'. I don't have a Debian
> CD in front of me, but check out the man page for apt-cdrom:
> it looks like you'll do something like
>
> sudo apt-cdrom add
>
> to get the indexes recreated. Then apt-file update, like you
> did, then apt-file search.

After installation I did apt-cdrom add for each CD. That was not
problem, I can install packages from all CDs, also I can use
'apt-cache search' and it use all 14 CD but 'apt-file update'
fail and 'apt-file search' finds nothing.
As I understood an error
cp: cannot stat /cdrom/dists/unstable/Contents-i386.gz': No such
file or directory
apt-file update is trying to copy file Contents-i386.gz from CD.
But there is no file with that name on any of CD I have.
    $ ls /cdrom/dists/unstable/Contents-i386.gz
    ls: /cdrom/dists/unstable/Contents-i386.gz: No such file or
directory

Is it possible That I have some bad CDs? So my guess is that I
need to recreate Cintents-i386.gz file for each CD. With which
tool was that file created in the first place?
My sources.list is:
%
#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

deb cdrom:[Sarge 1]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 2]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 3]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 4]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 5]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 6]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 7]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 8]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 9]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 10]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 11]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 12]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 13]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Sarge 14]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Sarge_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20050323)]/ unstable contrib main

# deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib

NOTE:
I did not like long name of CD So I run apt-cd add with -r switch.
First and last 'deb cdrom:' line are for the same CD.
I have only diial-up so I do not install from internet: only CDs.