why early boot timezone so east?

Just curious, why in /var/log/boot do we see that the system first is
in some UTC+16 timezone,
Thu Sep 15 19:15:51 2005: Setting the System Clock using the Hardware
   Clock as reference...
Before it gets adjusted to my local Taiwan time, UTC+8:
Thu Sep 15 11:15:50 2005: System Clock set. Local time: Thu Sep 15
   11:15:50 CST 2005
My system runs perfectly. I'm just curious why in early boot stages it
is in UTC+16?  Is this some kind of policy to make sure time only
jumps backward, and never forward, even if one lives in New Zealand,
during the boot process?