Re: why early boot timezone so east?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 02:43:04AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Just curious, why in /var/log/boot do we see that the system first is
> in some UTC+16 timezone,
> Thu Sep 15 19:15:51 2005: Setting the System Clock using the Hardware
>    Clock as reference...
> Before it gets adjusted to my local Taiwan time, UTC+8:
> Thu Sep 15 11:15:50 2005: System Clock set. Local time: Thu Sep 15
>    11:15:50 CST 2005
> My system runs perfectly. I'm just curious why in early boot stages it
> is in UTC+16?  Is this some kind of policy to make sure time only
> jumps backward, and never forward, even if one lives in New Zealand,
> during the boot process?

Check your system clock by going into the BIOS setup: if that has
accidentally got set to the wrong time / you have a flat BIOS backup
battery, you might get the above.

As it boots up, the system is looking at the hardware clock - whatever
it's set to - _then_ it gets set off the network by ntpdate or some such?

If the system is showing the correct time once it's up: use hwclock
--systohc to set it correctly once.

Andy - with a dead BIOS battery / clock in his firewall - a power cut
means that I have to reset all settings before the thing will even boot
up properly.