Re: Minimize diskaccess on a light server

Hi,

Arjen Verweij wrote:

The current machine is an AMD K6-233MHz with 64MB and one 120G disc,
running Debian stable for years (now Sarge). Unfortunately, the cpu has
a bug, where it becomes unstable  under stress (i.e. compiling a kernel)
when using more than 32MB of RAM. Since I have the need to use this
server a bit more extensively than I have, I'm pondering an upgrade.
Because I want to keep the power consumption relatively low, I looked at
VIA Epia solutions. Sadly, VIA doesn't make many boards with SATA, and
the ones that have the 8237 southbridge only have one LAN port. This
means I have to spend the PCI slot on another NIC.

Sounds like bad memory as opposed to a cpu bug. I used to have the same problem... just swapped my ram out and it was fine. have you run memtest on it yet? (maybe that would be easier than buying a whole new system)

Cameron Matheson