Re: Hardware RAID advices needed

On lørdag 10 september 2005, 23:02, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> >The first is a dirt cheap Sunsway Sil 3112-based card, i.e.
> > fakeraid.
>
> How "old" is your PC?

Pretty exactly 4 years old. It has the last generation of Athlon T-Bird
CPUs.

> On my 2ghz AthlonXP I have onboard VIA
> (fakeraid) plus a PCI Sil 3112a card.  Raid-5 over four SATA discs
> give me in excess of 50MB/s sustained write, depending on what I'm
> copying, with a system load of about 2.00.

That's pretty neat.

> >The second option is a 3ware 8006-2PL,
>
> You can't go wrong.

Cool! :-)

> >The third option is to buy a SATA non-RAID controller and run SW
> > RAID entirely based on that.
>
> I'm not sure if you even get that.  I've never seen a SATA controller
> that didn't have Raid.

I think they exist. This, for example:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASH-1205SA

> But then, if you think about it, it's all fake
> raid, so all of them are non-raid.

Yup. I found that even those cheapest SATA controllers that were
advertized as non-RAID had a SiL3112. Grok it those who can.

> http://cgi.ebay.com/3ware-8006-2LP-64-bit-PCI-SATA_W0QQitemZ523855901
>7QQcategoryZ39968QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> If your data is worth $45 to you, then this will see you through.

OK, cool! Thanks a lot for all the advices, now I know a lot more about
my options. Still have to count my pennies, though, and figure out what
I really want.

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer