Re: Custom Kernel Won't Boot

Alvin Oga a écrit :
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Aurélien Campéas wrote:

a "mkinitrd for the dummies", riddled with examples, would be neat

but for a costom kernel without initrd, also don't forget to disable initrd support (in the kernel) (it sits near the RAM fs section)

do you man disable or enable  initrd support??
	- at least its black-n-white, in that we supposedly
	know what to do with that option

disable it

but what about other options like, ramdisk support too which is
NOT the same as initrd support

true, you can keep ramdisk support if you have some use for it

or do you only want to use loop devices ??

true

and why use loop devices, etc

cause they are useful to me ?

..

gazillion examples ...

	- in each distro .. there typically is an initrd.gz or similarly
	named files somewhere on their boot media

		http://Linux-Boot.net/InitRD/Viewing/

to break those initrd.gz so you can peek isnide would depend on how they built it ... and sometimes its compressed and sometimes not
	even if its named to imply one way or the other
		( *.img vs *.gz vs *.foo )

	- some use minix + cramfs ... which your system would need
	to support for you to peek in

thanks I already knew that
not exactly a "for the dummies" (or "lazy dogs") approach

for making your own ...
	look at the contents of other distro's initrd, since we all
	know the distro's CAN install into most any hardware

	after reading/studyng their stuff, you can make your own with:
		http://Linux-Boot.net/InitRD
		- ramdisk
		- loop devices

	ramdisk is limited in size by the kernel option at kernel compile
	time ...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0 bs=anything count=big will NOT work

	loopdevices can be any size

I'll have a look into that some time in the future ...

I've learnt not to rely on debian initrd-ed kernels because for some reason, on my personnal machine, the net driver failed to work if not loaded in-kernel. Initrd is fine for distribution kernels, but on a personnal level, it can help to know how to get rid of it.

Cheers,
Aurélien.